8 October, 2013
Invitation to attend the TWO ICFR field days coming up at the end of October
Date - 30 October (Central Region)
Date - 31 October
The first event is a field day in our Central Region, and will be held at the Robbie Burns Hotel near Amsterdam on the highveld on 30 October.
The second event will be held in the Mpumalanga region at Sudwala near Nelspruit on 31 October.
for both of these events are attached, and while there is some overlap
in speakers, there are also some regional-specific talks. As for all
ICFR field days, these events are open to anyone in the Industry
interested in attending.
Talks which will be presented at both field days include:
- An overview of research challenges and opportunities facing the Industry
- Towards understanding the impact of insect pests on eucalypti productivity
- The integration of harvesting and silviculture and potential for precision forestry
- War declared on Sirex noctilio by pine trees, parasites and perceptions (field presentation)
A presentation specific to the Central Field Day will address
- Growth responses to mid-rotation fertilisation of Eucalyptus pulpwood stands: Final results
Field visits for the Central Field Day include
- Advancements in developing Eucalyptus badjensis as a commercial forestry species in South Africa
- Genetic gain in Eucalyptus nitens
A presentation specific to the Mpumalanga Field Day will look at
Field visits for the Mpumalanga Field Day include
- Early growth results of late rotation fertilisation of pine sawtimber stands
- Climate change projections for the Mpumalanga region with particular focus on frost occurrence
Visits to see some of Sappi's mechanised silviculture operations
Plantation re-establishment: Principles of pit preparation
pass the invitation onto your colleagues who may be interested in
attending, especially anyone in your companies in the area, who may not
be on this mailing list.
GPS co-ordinates for both venues are included with the programmes.
For catering purposes, please reply to Sally Upfold (email@example.com) or Sidhika Naidoo (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 033-3862314 by 25 October latest indicating which of these events you intend coming to. Please book early!
Download the PDF document: Mpumalanga Field Day
Download the PDF document: Central Field Day
Sally J Upfold (MSc)
Institute for Commercial Forestry Research (ICFR)
Tel: +27 - 33 - 386 2314
Fax: +27 - 33 - 386 8905